Inspired by a friend’s innovative idea, I made this soup virtually “brothless”… so it’ more of a chili/ pasta dish after it cooks. I loved it this way, but if you want it to be more soup-like, just add more broth and/ or water when you make it.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 TBS olive or avocado oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 32 oz carton low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 14.5 can petitie diced tomatoes, italian style, undrained
- 15 oz can tomato puree
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried or fresh chopped basil
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked small pasta – I used ditalini
- salt & pepper to taste
- shredded or grated parmesan cheese to serve
Optional: Add a can of cannellini beans for a more hearty soup.
Turn heat down to a simmer and allow to cook at least 10 more minutes. Season with more salt & pepper as needed. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.