If you’ve been over to our house for dinner, I’ve probably made this for you at least once! It’s always a hit, and easy to prepare ahead of time then bake when you’re ready to eat.
- 16 oz box of ziti or similar pasta
- 2 jars of tomato sauce (24 oz each), any variety you like
- 1 15 oz container part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- 1 egg, beaten
- grated parmesan for topping
Cook pasta as directed on box, drain.
Preheat oven to 375.
Mix beaten egg, ricotta cheese, 1 jar of sauce plus 1/4 of the second jar, and 1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella and the drained pasta in a large bowl.
Pour some of the remaining sauce in the bottom of dish, spread the ziti mixture on top.
Top with the rest of the sauce, and the remaining mozzarella, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake covered for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Or you can prepare ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake it.
You’ll need to bake a little longer if you have had it in the refrigerator – closer to 45 minutes.