A post to welcome fall!! This is an easy crockpot treat that you can give as gifts or freeze or enjoy right away!
- 18-20 apples, peeled and cored, chopped – I use a large variety, but mostly sweet apples (like fuji, honeycrisp, gala) so I can reduce added sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar – (more if you’d like it sweeter, or if you use primarily tart apples)
- 1/4 c white sugar
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Few sprinkles cardamom (optional)
- 1 TBS orange zest (optional but does give a good flavor)
- 2 tsp vanilla – you’ll add this after pureeing.
Put everything except vanilla in crock pot and stir around with your hands to mix. Cook on low for 8-10 hours depending on how hot/fast your crockpot usually cooks.
Puree with an immersion blender, add vanilla, then continue to cook uncovered about 3 hours or until thickened (I put my lid on sideways or half off so it covers a little in case of splashing).
Allow to cool completely then put into jars to give as gifts, refrigerate (up to a month opened), or freeze (up to 6 months)!