These are great for breakfast or as a snack! And even better with some apple butter spread on them.
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour if you prefer)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low fat milk (feel free to use almond or soy)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup low fat or fat free greek yogurt (I used Dannon Oikos Apple Pie flavor. If you can’t find an apple flavored yogurt, plain or vanilla greek yogurt would work too.)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 heaping cups chopped apple (cored + peeled, if you prefer peeled chunks – I did not peel mine)
- Sugar in the raw for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 425F. Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
Gently fold wet mixture into the flour, stirring until just combined. Gently fold in the apples.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins equally. Sprinkle sugar in the raw over each muffin.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes about 16 muffins. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins may be frozen also, up to 3 months.
Nutritional facts: 169 calories, 1.4 g fat, 155 mg sodium, 35 carbs, 16.2 g sugar, 3.6 g fiber, 5 g protein